Does what you do when you do it make you feel good? If not, why not?
May 3, 2015
In all the years I have been handing out beauty and anti aging advise, I have also talked about having a healthy attitude towards ourselves. This would be the “If you feel good you look good” approach. It works and goes hand in hand with what ever else you do to improve your life and appearance.
Here are 10 steps that will help.
1. Do not compare yourself to others – One of the worst things we can do from a confidence standpoint is compare ourselves to others, especially when looking at what they have that we do not have. Think of yourself as someone who is unique with talents and gifts that you can share with your friends and family. Some of the biggest confidence killers are jealousy and envy. Instead of comparing yourself, look deep inside and see what you need to improve. Don’t improve upon these things to please others, but to grow as a person.
2. Wear clothes that make you feel good – When you look good, you have confidence. Wear clothes that makes you feel good. Find the time to study your body type and wear clothes that will complement it. Don’t force yourself to wear tight fitting clothes if you know it will only make you feel uncomfortable. There are so many books, magazines and online articles about finding the best fit for your body type.
3. Sit down and make a list of your assets – Get a pen and paper, sit down, and list your assets. List not only your physical assets, but everything you know about yourself that makes you special and unique. This might include your talents, your achievements and even your goals and dreams. Then analyze which ones you want to improve on or develop and make an effort to do that.
4. Create your own style – In addition to number 2 on this list, it is also important to create your own style. What is so wonderful about the 21st century is that we do not need to conform to trends. We can now wear anything that makes us happy and comfortable, yet still remain stylish. We just need to take the time to figure out what suits us best. I am so lucky that I have a brother who is a stylist. He is always willing to lend me his styling tips, and he loves me enough to tell me when something does not look good on me.
5. Take care of your body and mind – Remember to eat your veggies, take your vitamins and exercise (even if for just 15 minutes a day). Also, read a book, visit a museum or do anything that will help stimulate your mind and your senses. Believe me, you will love yourself even more for it.
6. Take care of skin – Our skin covers our entire body, so it’s important to take care of that too. Pamper yourself every once in awhile. Get a massage. Make sure that you wash your face. Use a toner and moisturize. Most importantly, drink plenty of water and get at least 8 hours of sleep each night. This simple regimen will help you to keep looking good.
7. Learn how to accept compliments – When someone says you look good, say thank you and just accept the compliment. If you aren’t used to doing this, it can feel awkward at first. However, learning to accept compliments instead of brushing them off will definitely help you feel good about yourself.
8. Respect your body – Even if you don’t feel 100% good about yourself, there are simple things you can do that will really perk you up. For example, get a fun haircut that you can maintain. Brush your teeth and clip your nails. Take a bath. If you are clean and well groomed, even if you are just wearing a plain shirt and jeans, you will still look great.
9. Cheer yourself up – Laughter is still the best medicine. Laugh whenever you can. Cheer yourself up when you feel low. Watch a good movie, or curl up on the couch and read a good book. Take a long walk and enjoy nature and your surroundings.